Bob Henschen is one of Houston’s finest jazz pianists. He played in the famed University of North Texas One O’Clock LabBand in the 1960’s and toured with the Buddy Rich Big Band in the 1970’s.Returning to Houston, he has backed up some of the best names in jazz, including Dizzy Gillespie, Freddie Hubbard, Joe Williams, Anita O’Day, Billy Harper, Carlos Garnett and Eddie Harris, as well as Houston greats, Arnett Cobb, Don Wilkerson, Jimmy Ford, Tex Allen, Tony Campise, Roseanna Vitro, Horace Grigsby and Mickey Moseley.
In 1998, he performed in Switzerlandat the Ascona Jazz Festivalwith vocalist Jewel Brown. He has also appeared at the Corpus Christi Jazz Festival and Trinity Church Jazz Festival, and at the Kemah Boardwalk Jazz Fest, where he was the recipient of the 2009 Kemah Boardwalk Jazz Achievement Award.
He plays regularly at Houston’s best jazz venues, including Cezanne’s, where he was Artistic Director from 2000-2003. He has taught in the jazz studies programs at the Houston High School for the Performing and Visual Arts, Houston Community College and Texas Southern University.
- “Rich at the Top,” Buddy Rich Big Band (PBS, 1973)
- “At Last,” Horace Grigsby(1997)
- “Live at Cezanne,” Bob Henschen Trio (@005)
- “Ever Yours,” Mickey Mosley (2007)
- “Sunday, Monday, or Always,” Horace Grigsby (2007)
- “Comfortable Blues,” Tim Solook (2012)
- “Cravo e Canela,” Bob Henschen Trio (2013)
- “I’m All Smiles,” Emi Takada / Bob Henschen Trio (2014)